» Mesothelioma Health and Wellness
Mesothelioma is a rare form of cancer that occurs in the thin tissue that lines most of the internal organs (mesothelium). The doctor divides mesothelioma into several types based on which part of this cancer occurs. Among others:
- malignant pleural mesothelioma, which occurs in the tissue lining around the lungs and is the most common type.
- Peritoneal mesothelioma, occurring in tissues that line the stomach.
- pericardial mesothelioma, occurring in the tissue lining around the heart.
- Mesothelioma of the tunica vaginalis, occurs in the lining around the testicles.
Mesothelioma Symptom :
Signs and symptoms of mesothelioma varies based on where the cancer occurs.
Pleural mesothelioma, signs and symptoms include:
- Shortness of breath
- Pain when breathing
- Pain when coughing
- Pain in the lower rib
- an unusual lump in the chest under the skin layer
- Lost weight suddenly
- Dry cough
Peritoneal mesothelioma, signs and symptoms include:
- Pain in abdomen
- Swelling in the abdomen
- Changes in bowel movements, such as more frequent diarrhea or constipation
- Lump in the tissues in the abdominal area
- Lost weight suddenly
Other forms of mesothelioma :
Signs and symptoms of pericardial mesothelioma and tunica vaginalis are unclear. There is no complete information about this. Pericardial mesothelioma have signs and symptoms that may include difficulty breathing or chest pain. While mesothelioma of the tunica vaginalis can be detected first by the enlargement of the testicles.
Cause of mesothelioma :
In general, cancer occurs when cells mutate DNA. This mutation makes the cells continued to grow and flourish while others have normal cell cycles of life and death. Accumulation of cancer cells can form a malignant tumor.
It is unclear what causes the initial genetic mutations that lead to mesothelioma although scientists identify factors that may increase the risk. Cancer may result from a combination of several factors, such as heredity, environment, health condition and lifestyle.
Benign pleural mesothelioma :
Benign tumors that form in the chest sometimes called benign (benign) mesothelioma. But the term is misleading. Benign mesothelioma is not started on the same cell where the cancer is formed. And in some cases kacil, benign mesothelioma can be very aggressive. For this reason, some doctors now prefer to call this tumor as a solitary fibrous tumor.
Solitary fibrous tumors usually do not cause signs and symptoms. It is unclear what caused the solitary fibrous tumor, but tumors are associated with asbestos contamination pollutants. Treatment for solitary fibrous tumors usually includes surgery procedures.
Risk factors :
- Exposure to asbestos pollutants (primary risk factor)
Asbestos is a mineral found in the neighborhood. Asbestos fibers are strong and resistant to heat makes it very useful to be applied to a variety of needs. People who work in environments polluted many asbestos fibers have a greater risk of exposure mesothelioma.
When asbestos split – such as making process – asbestos dust is formed. If dust is inhaled or swallowed asbestos fibers will then settle in the lungs or in the stomach and can cause irritation that causes mesothelioma.
Some people who over many years exposed to asbestos pollution can not have mesothelioma, while others the opposite. This indicates that other factors may be related, namely the hereditary factors do you have a family history of cancer in some people is a condition that increases the risk.
Risk factors that may
Risk factors that may increase the risk of mesothelioma include:
- Exposure to asbestos fiber dust pollution
- Living with someone who works in an environment with asbestos (the asbestos fibers are attached to their clothing or skin)
- SV40 virus is found in many primates
- X-ray radiation
- Family history with mesothelioma
Mesothelioma prevention :
Beware if you work in an environment with asbestos
Many people who experienced mesothelioma exposed to asbestos fibers while working at places such as:
- Factory worker
- Manufacturing of electronic components
- Construction of rail
- Construction workers
For prevention it can be done by:
- Follow standard safety regulations
- Do not use objects that contain asbestos in your neighborhood